Sunday, September 18, 2016

Animal Crackers

"That was the best 3.67 I have spent in a long time. I just wanted to pamper myself". Thus went the text from my daughter the new mother. She also sent a photo of her triumphant purchase: a bag of good old fashioned iced animal crackers. These were the pink and white waxy frosted crackers with the multicolored nonpareils. Yes. These were a childhood favorite of hers cultivated by yours truly. They are a far cry from the clean eating treats I make now. They probably never go bad due to the industrial strength preservatives involved in their making. Nonetheless, through the sea of diapers and sleepless nights somehow these seemed to soothe her new mama soul.

This got me to thinking about my absolute belief in rewarding myself for goals achieved. When I first started losing weight I promised myself an Alex and Ani bracelet for each ten pounds. When I lost the first ten I remember feeling just a bit of disappointment that magically I had not transformed into some sort of supermodel. This is old thinking for any of us who have battled weight. I bought the bracelet that said,"it's not a sprint, it's a marathon". I have found this to be excruciating at times but true nonetheless. The second one was the "living water" bracelet as it reminded me of just who was the living water and who all these hopes and dreams rest on. My third was the Cubs bracelet because after all, every thought does not have to be deep and I am just a Chicago girl living in New York. Along he way there have been other rewards. Things designed to fill the space once occupied by my previous comfort, food. There is my love of a good mani and pedi as well as my constant admiration of my hair dresser who I swear is part magician.

For my daughter her reward of keeping my precious granddaughter alive and well for a whole month came down to animal crackers. Rewards were definitely in order at that point.  If she only knew that her attempt to cling to the comforts of her childhood will soon become staple food, as my Bella grows some more, along with goldfish and juice boxes. I did not have the nerve to tell her one day she will be washing mushy animal crackers out of Bella's hair and really her rewards will change to something a bit more palatable.

My next goal?  I finally for the first time in my life broke a 10 minute mile today. Not too bad considering it was the second mile I ran. The first was 10:10. That was not going to work. Now to shoot for 8 minutes in the next twelve months......my reward?  At the moment that secret is safe with the good people of Amazon....

No comments: