Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Car Cleaning Confessions

I have a confession. I drive a mom mobile. No not quite a minivan as even I have certain lines I cannot in good conscience cross. This busy working mom of five is a step down on the mom car continuum. I drive a suburban. Said suburban has the obligatory "SUNY Albany Mom" sticker on the back sandwiched somewhere between my orange theory sticker, of course, and my "OBX" sticker, which serves as my reminder that no matter how difficult life is at times, come July I will be able to watch the sun rise over the Atlantic. In that sense I resemble every other mom of a large family I know.

Being the hauling kids car, I am sure I am like most other moms.  My car collects crap. Papers from Sunday school. Forgotten half eaten snacks and a wide collection of clothing. Now to be fair, to hear my husband tell it my car likely houses something else. Chickens. He enjoys pointing out at any given time he fears he will open the doors and chickens will fly out. I mean really. Chickens. After all he should know they do not fly.

Regardless, I find every few days I need to locate a large trash can and pull up to unload the latest remnants of kid related refuse. Today was that day. One of my day off tasks. I must confess however, my car today had bread. The bread from two days of breakfast sandwiches from Starbucks. The bread was still neatly in the white Starbucks bag no longer holding the egg and sausage it once did.   Ok. This one was on me. It dawned on me, in that moment, that somewhere there is an entire landfill full of the bread I stopped eating about two years ago. Honestly, I have done all kinds of things with bread in two years. Thrown it away. Fed it to the dog.....anything by put it in my system.  Ah my beloved bread. Prior to two years ago I made my own bread from scratch, rising and kneading the dough and carefully watching it brown to perfection. I made all kinds of bread even the sweet kinds like pumpkin and banana. Yes bread and I had a love affair that was only mirrored by my ability to fit into nothing less than plus sized clothing.

Now here I sit planning for my next race in 3 weeks and two other races in the coming months finally grasping my own metabolic issues and understanding the relationship between carbs and my weight, I find the end of this love affair with bread and my ceremoniously throwing it in the trash today more like slaying a dragon and less like cleaning out my car.  I realized how much better my life is without it. Now as a side note...I have considered lobbying the good people at Starbucks to give me a low carb option to avoid my abuse of the local landfill with my bread wasting problem. Will save that for project for another day, and just to set the record straight only three beach towels, a cooler, several empty water bottles, some straw wrappers and an old apple were found in there. No chickens. Tonight's chicken came strictly from Price Chopper.

No comments: